Tuesday 9 April 2013

Bad Luck and Big Races


Gidday.

Been a bit slack as of late for an update, so put the kids to bed, grab a cuppa and settle in for a rom-com novel.

The first big race for me was a wee while ago, GP de Nogent just out of Paris – strictly business so didn’t get to go into the Love capital of the world and get my tourist on!  The race itself was UCI 1.2 along a confusing but nice course..  Still getting a feel for the Elite racing I was itching to get into this one, but a lack of concentration and bad positioning piped me out the chuff in the crosswind section.  On that moment the heavens let rip with an attack of hail, thunder, lightning and horizontal rain, an experience like no other I had experienced before! It was crazy.

Wanzle Pro Kermesse start
Next one on the list for me was G.P. Pino Cerami, a UCI 1.1 and my first crack at a professional race! Pretty cool feeling lining up with the Spanish Champ and Pro squads like Movistar, Lotto Belisol, Vacansoleil, Euskatel – Euskadi, and a few others!  The race for me was riddled with bad luck, had a puncture 90km in followed by a slog to get back onto the bunch. A broken spoke 30km to go stitched the 208km race up for me, but a great experience all the same!

More of the same in the amateur kermesse around my home town. Puncture coming up a longish climb zapped a fair bit of energy getting back up to the bunch due to the Belgie cars trying to motor-pace me at a million kph up the climb.

Wanzle Pro Kermesse
Anyway, hopefully I have put all the punctures and mechanicals behind me because the Spring dream is coming up this Saturday, U23 Liege-Bastogne-Liege, one of the biggest ones on the calendar, keen to give that one a fair bit of jandal!

Cycling aside, had a brilliant night out in Antwerp to let the hair down at a 6000 strong concert, had a swell time and thoroughly enjoyed it!  I have no idea why but Belgium attracts wicked acts to play at their concerts and festivals! Loads of quality acts.

Also went up the mountain near where I live for a bit of skiing when the snow bucketed down, good fun getting back on the snow. Makes me want to come home for the winter and ski!

Beauty day up on the slopes
Stunner

Getting some Biathlon Practice in
We had the Team preso the other week and it was a good chance to catchup with the team for a yarn and a feed. Unfortunately for me it was all in French so it was difficult for me to speak a bit about myself!
Kiwis
The whole team
Righto, that’s about it I think, let you know how LBL goes and anything else that pops up!

Catchup soon


Vess


Ride down to Lux


No comments:

Post a Comment